Saturday 4 March 2017

17 projects in 2017

Earlier this year I joined a challenge to complete 17 projects in 2017. Well, thanks to an exceedingly hot summer and the untimely demise of our ducted air conditioning unit, I haven't done very much at all. With the cooler days, which arrived with the beginning of autumn, I've finally managed to get into the sewing room without melting into a puddle. In early 2015, I was involved in a scrap swap with a group of seven friends. We each had to make millions hundreds of sets of scrappy 2" squares, sewn into sets of three. The result was enough sets of three for each of us, to sew into rectangles made three wide by six squares long. These were then combined with 5" plain squares set on point, to create Bonnie Hunter's scrappy 'Rick Rack Nines' quilt. The pattern can be found on her blog 'Quiltville Snips and Bits' @quiltville.blogspot.com or, check out the quilt on Pinterest. I decided to use up some 6 1/2" machine embroidered red work squares I had made several years ago for a long forgotten project. When laid them out, I discovered that I needed another 21 embroidered squares. Well, I've finally completed all of the embroidery. The stabiliser has been removed, so now they just need to be trimmed to 5" then laid out, ready to be sewn together. I found a small print fabric with a maroon background which can be used for the setting triangles and either a border or the binding, depending on the quantity available. This project is on going, but I've made another step towards completion. Savoury mince with mashed potato for tea. Cheers 💜

2 comments:

  1. Scrappy quilts are my favourites Emmbee, would love to see a photo of yours, it sounds interesting with the embroidered blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely, when it's finished AND I've sorted the photo loading procedure.

    ReplyDelete